Your Guide to the Garage Sale
So much more than a garage sale … It’s a celebration of fiber & thrift!
Are you an artist, student, crafter, church group, guild doing charity work, or just love a bargain? Here’s how it works: Individuals and businesses donate fabric, yarn, thread, notions, kits, patterns, books, beads, buttons, sewing machines, tools, looms, specialty equipment – a warehouse full of fiber finds! These treasures are then resold at garage sale prices to YOU. Donations are tax deductible, & it all benefits Textile Center’s programs. To volunteer, scroll down for the opportunities.
HOW TO DONATE MATERIALS
Thursday, April 20 from 10 am to 7 pm • Donation Day
U of M ReUse Warehouse at 883 29th Ave SE, Minneapolis
From Como Ave SE, turn south on 29th Ave East, then right onto Weeks Ave. Look for a large garage door and driveway on your right. Pull up, pop your trunk, and volunteers will help unload. Textile Center is a 501 (c) 3, so all donations are tax-deductible! Ask for your donation receipt when you drop of your items. This is a Zero Waste Event, so please bring your donation in recyclable or reusable boxes or bags.
Are you a business with a huge stash to donate? Are you moving and need to donate your stash before April 20? Call Textile Center and we can try to accommodate.
HOW TO SHOP
Friday, April 21, 6 – 8 pm • The Preview Sale
Beat the crowds, enjoy music from D.J. Rey, and refreshments! The Preview Sale offers the first chance at all the goods the Garage Sale has to offer, including the new “Oval Room” of premium merchandise.
Tickets in Advance: $30 / $25 members
Purchase Advance Tickets to the Preview Sale Here
At the Door: $35
Free parking in lot C66 across the street
Saturday, April 22, 9 am – 4 pm • The World’s Largest Textile Garage Sale
New this Year: The “Oval Room” of the Garage Sale! Includes premium merchandise such as sewing machines, looms, high quality yarns and fabrics.
Back by popular demand! $2 Bag Sale from 3 – 4 pm. Everything must go! All you can stuff into a bag (paper grocery-sized) for $2. If it doesn’t fit, it’s 50% off!
The Garage Sale is a zero waste event; please BYOBag!
Parking: Reduced rate of $4 parking in lot C66 across the street
HOW TO VOLUNTEER
Over 200 volunteers sort, price, and sell the donated items – we couldn’t do it without you!
Our greatest need is for Saturday volunteers!
Take a look at the volunteer job descriptions.
The University of Minnesota is not endorsing or sponsoring the activities conducted by Textile Center on the University of Minnesota campus. The relationship between the University of Minnesota and Textile Center is solely that of licensor and licensee.
Please price your items in advance if possible.
We appreciate your time!
- Price in whole dollar amounts only.
- Use permanent ink to clearly mark prices on stickers or tape and fasten securely.
- Consider the item’s age and condition and assign a value approximately 25% to 50% of the original cost. If you know the fiber content and yardage, include it on your label.
- Do NOT price patterns.
- Package or bundle your small items. Place ribbons, buttons, or fabric scraps larger than a fat quarter in a securely sealed, clear plastic bag then price them all together.
- sewing & crafting notions, thread, buttons
- needles, crochet hooks, & crafting tools
- books related to sewing, knitting, crafting
- sewing machines, knitting machines
- weaving looms
- needlework tools & materials
- trims, ribbons, embellishments
- felt, wool fleece
We do not accept…
- finished goods (clothing, bed linens, etc)
- magazines – please contact our librarian in advance before donating magazines at 612-436-0464 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- fabric scraps smaller than a fat quarter
- dirty, moldy or smoke damaged items